Saturday 16 January 2010

Vintage post card


Vintage post card
Originally uploaded by Shabby Tiger
Friar Gate bridge circa 1958. I would have been( or almost) two years old, depending on what time of year it was.
I lived just around the corner from this beautiful bridge, and when I think back, it reminds me of all the sights and sounds which accompany steam trains.
A lot of the men on my fathers side of the family worked on the railways, in some form or other.
Sadly a lot of the beautiful buildings along Frair Gate are no longer there. I think this is called "redevelopment".
Pickford House is still up and running, and such a beautiful building and a wonderful museum. One not to be missed if you can visit.
Sadly we don't have much of our heritage left in Derby, the city council have devastated my once wonderful hometown, and I know I'm not the only person who thinks that.
I still love visiting anywhere where steam trains are running, and anywhere where our heritage is still intact for everyone to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment